What are the symptoms of throat cancer?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have a sore throat that has lasted four days, I chewed tobacco for 25 yrs and quit 6yrs ago. I have had HPV symptoms. I'm worried about throat cancer. When should I see a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not wait

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your healthcare concerns

You have had a sore throat for 4 days and you are concerned that this maybe a sign of throat cancer. You do have high risk behavior for throat cancer and it would be a good idea for you to be screened for throat cancer. Though you current symptoms of throat pain is not the usual initial symptoms of throat cancer. More then likely you have post nasal drip or a upper respiratory infection. I would recommend that you be seen and have your throat looked at by your medical provider. Your provider can best check and direct you to specialist who screens for ENT cancers

While you are waiting I recommend throat gargles with warm salt water, robitussin expectorant and if needed antihistamine.

I hope this answers your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions