• question-icon

What are the symptoms of shingles?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What are symptoms of shingles on the scalp? As of yet I have no rash.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow the instructions

Detailed Answer:
The first symptom of shingles is often extreme sensitivity or pain.The sensation can be itching, tingling, burning, constant aching, or a deep, shooting, or "lightning bolt" pain.
Typically, one to three days after the pain starts, a rash with raised, red bumps and blisters erupts on the skin in the same distribution as the pain. They become pus-filled, then form scabs by about 10-12 days. In a few cases, only the pain is present without the rash or blisters.
The rash disappears as the scabs fall off in the next two to three weeks, and scarring may result.
Some patients develop post herpetic neuralgia (PHN), in which the localized pain of shingles remains even after the rash is gone. As many as 15% of people with shingles develop postherpetic neuralgia; most of these cases occur in people over 50 years of age.
Hence in your case if pain is not excruciating, and no rash yet, then it is less likely to be shingles. If possible, upload a photograph of the affected area, so that I can take a closer look and advice based on that.
I hope this helps you
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 31 minutes later
I have had the shingles vaccine right after it became available (maybe 10 or 12 yrs ago). Could that be the reason I do not have the rash, the spot on my head is so sensitive I can barely touch it. If I do not touch it, it doesn't hurt much but I do have pains & aching that shoots through occasionally. My guess is, this is the 4th day. If it is not shingles, what else could cause this?

A picture would be difficult because of all my hair, the area that hurts is red.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consultation with doctor needed.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your follow up...
I have read your question and understand your concerns.
Yes, since you have received vaccination, the severity of shingles could have reduced and since its only fourth day, there might be chances of formation of rashes later. However your description of pain almost fits into the criteria of shingles. But it could also be due to temporal arteritis, which is highly unlikely in your case. Hence go ahead with consultation of your doctor to get antiviral drug prscribed, which most probably will be acyclovir. Also clinical evaluation is necessary as i am not able 2 see the exact condition.
Hope this clarifies your doubts. Revert back to me if you have follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar