What are the symptoms of shingles?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: What are symptoms of Shingles?
What should be done about it ?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms and treatment approach

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. The symptoms of shingles are the following sir:

+Sensitivity to touch
+Pain (main symptom)
+Tingling sensation
+Numbness
+Burning sensation
+Itching
+Rash (starts a few days after the pain)
+Fluid filled blisters
+Fever
+Exhaustion
+Headaches
and a few minor other symptoms.

The first thing would be to get tested and confirm the diagnosis. Once the diagnosis has been established, the treatment approach is as follows:

+Anti-viral medications (e.g. acyclovir, valacyclovir, etc.)
+Gabapentin
+Tricyclic anti-depressants (e.g. amitriptyline) they help with the pain
+Pain management: Codeine
+Lidocaine cream or patch to help numb the region and avoid pain or irritation from the blisters

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.