What are the symptoms of residual bell's palsy?

Excellent

Question
The only way I can explain this is that I can definitely close one eyelid tighter than the other, and smile higher on one side than the other. Left side is the stronger side. I did have Bell's Palsy about 5 years ago, but then I could not whistle or suck on a straw. I can do both of those things, so the differences are not as pronounced. I asked about this before and the doctor here said it was residual effects of Bell's, however, I failed to specify that my Bell's was 5 years ago. Could this be a more minor case? Or something else? Also, my right eye (the weaker side) has started watering almost constantly.

Thanks...
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Residual Bell's Palsy

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and previous history.
As previous doctor mentioned, it is a case of Residual Bell's Palsy and it is not something else. People usually recover completely within 3 months of disease. The longer the recovery takes beyond the initial three months, the more severe the residual effects.

Residual effects can include eye problems (decreased lid closure / increased lid closure, dryness / excessive watering / watering during eating [crocodile tears]), nasal problems (running nose, dryness, collapsed nostril), and others.

Treatment for residual effect can be effective at any time after it is noticed. There is no time limit. That is because the focus of the treatment is on re-coordinating rather than stimulating muscles.

But for excessive watering of eye, you need to consult an ophthalmologist.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar

Follow-up: What are the symptoms of residual bell's palsy? 9 minutes later
So it doesn't matter that the previous Bell's was 5 years ago? And I have been symptom free until now? Thanks...

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Residual effect lasts

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up. Yes, its doesn't matter that previous Bell's Palsy was 5 years back. Once residual effects exist, they are usually permanently present. And you need to overcome synkinesis by re-coordination of muscles of both side.

Even much hyped electro stimulation of nerves doesn't help in this case.

Hope I have answered you. You can close the discussion and rate the answer, if you don't have further query.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar
For further queries you can contact me directly on http://bit.ly/DrGaurav

Follow-up: What are the symptoms of residual bell's palsy? 25 minutes later
Thank you...one more thing...will the symptoms subside on their own?

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
gradually

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up again.
Yes, symptoms will gradually diminish but if there is synkinesis due to new neurons(which is more likely in your case, otherwise you have been recovered completely till now), then you will have to overcome asymmetry by practicing. An occupational therapist will help you out with this.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar