What are the symptoms of pregnancy?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 14 Mar 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: hi doctor, i am going to be 38 year old in a few weeks. i got married very late, at the age of 33 in 2010. Then i had vaginismus problem. I recovered from it only by February 2014 last year. I had hyper-thyroid in 2013 for a brief period (6-8 months) While undergoing various tests, cysts were detected in my both the ovaries. But hardly have had typical menstrual cycle related pain. My periods have been normal sorts with 25 to 26 day cycle. Since Feb 2014, we started trying for baby. I got pregnant in early October. We went for an USG in 8th week, unfortunately it was found out that the foetus didn't grow after 6 weeks. So we got it terminated the very day i had symptom of miscarriage (22nd Nov 2014). My periods resumed on 19th Dec 2014. Then it came on 13th XXXXXXX 2015 (25 days). This month my periods were due on 7th or 8th Feb. But even today, on 17th Feb i still haven't got my periods yet. I tried home pregnancy test on 13th of Feb. It din't look positive (i at all i tested it correctly) Next day we visited a Gynae. She's put me on Norethindrone Acetate (Norlut-N) for 5 days. Today is the 5th day. What should i expect from it. I wish the absence of periods mean that i am pregnant. What if i am really pregnant. Will this medication would cause any harm to my pregnancy (If at all i am pregnant) Plz help! I never have missed periods in my entire life otherwise!
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait for a week after finishing the pills.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
I understand your problem.
Firstly, Norlut N is given to induce a period when you dont have it owing to minor hormonal imbalances.
When you finish the 5 day course , you typically bleed within a week.
So this is what you should expect.
If you do not bleed even a week after the completion of the pills, consult your gynecologist and please get a pelvic ultrasound scan done to know the reason for missed periods.
It could be an undiagnosed pregnancy, it could be hormonal disturbance, it could be thickening of the lining of the uterus.
ONly pelvic ultrasound and hormonal tests ( FSH, LH, TSH , Prolactin ) will tell you what it is.
If you are pregnant, this medication would not have caused any harm to your unborn child.
Hope this answer helped you.
All the best
PLease feel free to discuss further.