What are the symptoms of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 6 Feb 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I believe that I have POTS. I have been undiagnosed for years and I need advice. I have all of the symptoms, chronic fatigue, racing heart, palpitations, weakness, headaches, syncope, cold lower legs and feet, severe tmjd, myofascial pain, tinnitus, brain fog, symptoms of polymyalgia, even though I'm only 42. I sleep 18 hours a day if I can, but mostly I just have to be laying down. if upright, heart races, feel weak, fatigued, faint. What kind of doctor treats this? I notice if I drink water every hour that it's a little better and with extreme antiinflammatory diet, I am better. I have a lot of other weird corona and am worried about EDS.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will advise you to consult MD internal medicine doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have studied your case,

I will advise you to consult MD internal medicine doctor for your POTS treatment.

Each patient is different, thus consulting with a physician who has experience in treating autonomic disorders is important.
He may advise you some tips to reduce symptoms
The most common treatments for POTS include increasing fluid intake to 2-3 litres per day; increasing salt consumption to 3,000 mg to 10,000 mg per day;
wearing compression stockings; raising the head of the bed (to conserve blood volume); reclined exercises such as rowing, recumbent bicycling and swimming; a healthy diet; avoiding substances and situations that worsen orthostatic symptoms; and finally, the addition of medications meant to improve symptoms.
Many different medications are used to treat POTS, such as Fludrocortisone, Beta Blockers, your doctor will advise you as per your symptoms.

If an underlying cause of the POTS symptoms can be identified, treating the underlying cause is very important as well.
For EDS also he will examine you and will to required investigation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E