Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

What are the symptoms of peptic ulcers ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12681 Questions
My wife is sufferring from Duodenal Ulcer and the same was detected about 10 to 12 days ago. Edoscopy was carried out and biopsy done. Cancer is ruled out, however inspite of medication given the ulcer is persisting. My stomach is now itching specially the Upper portion of my stomach just below the breast for the past few days. Doctor is suggesting repeat endoscopy and repeat biopsy. Iam worried...what should I do now?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

Peptic ulcers are usually associated with abdominal pain, bloating, fullness, nausea, heartburns, acidity and vomiting. Itching on the skin overlying the stomach might be due to allergy or dryness or due to other skin related reasons and is less likely due to peptic ulcer.

Upper GI endoscopy is the commonest investigation done and detection of H.Pylori is made by urea breath test.The urease activity is detected in a biopsy specimen by rapid urease test.

If your doctor is suggesting you to have a repeat biopsy then there must be a valid reason behind it which you can ask from him and if convinced go for the repeat procedure.

Meanwhile try raising the head side of your bed by about four inches with blocks. This also might help, avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you go to bed. To help control the stomach acid, do not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor