What are the symptoms of migraine?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 26 Feb 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi is it possible to get a migraine without an headache I don't have headaches auras but been told have migraine due to parathesia to left side fingers and toes. I had normal mri not contrast also one episode of left vision loss for less minute. I have normal sight however left field vision loss. If it is migraine can advise treatment or how can avoid symptoms thanks
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes it is possible to get migraine without headache

Detailed Answer:
Hi
the symptoms you described as paresthesia of one hand and toes with visual field loss on the left side indicates you have probably BASILAR ARTERY MIGRAINE.
Treatment
1. Identify and avoid triggers
Common triggers include
Drinking red wine
Skipping meals
Excessive afferent stimuli (eg, flashing lights, strong odors)
Weather changes
Sleep deprivation
Stress
Certain foods.

2. For mild pain analgesics like ibuprofen can be used
3. For severe pain drugs like metoclopromide, dihydroergotamine, prochlorperazine can be used after prescription by your doctor.

Most important would be the first step, avoiding your triggers.

Wishing you good health
Dr Arun