What are the symptoms of lung cancer?

Posted on Sat, 16 May 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi,
I would like you to provide a retrospective prognosis/treatment plan for a potential lung tumour potentially visible in an Xray taken in November 2013, this Xray attached was identified as normal. A subsequent CT scan in April 2014 identified a 9cm x 6.5cm tumour. and Stage 3B non operable tumour was identified in May 2014.

A second examination of the Xray from November suggests that the pleural tenting at the left cardiac apex may have been indicative of a mass which subsequently was confirmed in April with a CT scan after symptoms have persisted.

I would like to know what the prognosis would have been were a CT scan orderd in November 2013. What would have been the chance of removing the tumour?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lung cancer if detected early can be treated surgically.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your situation and problem.
I have gone through all the reports you have attached.
Your first chest x ray ( November 2013) was not normal. With your complaints at that time like coughing out blood, wheezing etc in the background of smoking, that x ray demands for CT scan at that time (November 2013) only.
That may be an initial stage of tumour.
Your lung tumour is mostly squamous cell carcinoma because of your complaints and site of tumour.
Squamous cell carcinoma has doubling time of 100-120 days.
So if your tumour is of 9×6 cm in April 2014, it might be of 2×1 cm in November 2013.
And this size is considered as operable lung tumour.
So if CT scan was done in November 2013, you might be benefitted more by surgery and chemotherapy.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist