What are the symptoms of leukoaraiosis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
My 66 year old brother went to court for a traffic ticket. I was told he had a meltdown in court and the judge continued the case until Sept. and had him sent to a mental hospital. He has been there 3 days. We are being told that he has an altered mental status and will just get worse and worse. He would never be able to live on his own. Does this make any sense to you? The only thing I can find is something called Leukoaraiosis but it doesn't seem so bad. This came out of the blue and he had not shown any symptons before except he had been told he had manic/depression without the depression 10 or more years ago.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He may have episode due to leukoaraiosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

First let me explain about leukoaraiosis. It is brain dysfunction which could lead to permanent damage. Leukoaraiosis has been reported to be an initial stage of serious dementia like Binswanger's disease.

At age of 66, if any patient gets any mental illness, chances of underline brain dysfunction is high. Sometime, due to brain dysfunction, patient does not come out of psychotic episode for rest of life. If your brother's condition is deteriorating, in that case, he may be in psychotic episode due to Leukoaraiosis. In his case, he should be on low dose of antipsychotic and rest depends upon his severity of illness or improvement with drugs.

In case, you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist