question-icon

What are the symptoms of kidney stone?

Posted on Fri, 6 Jun 2014
Question: What are the symptoms of a kidney stone? Can a kidney stone cause urinary retention issues? I am able to urinate, but it is a short stream, and I don't believe with the amount of water I drank that my bladder is empty. I feel a mild dull pain that comes and goes around my lower left abdomen. I would say on a pain scale of 1-10 it's about a 2.

I don't have health insurance, and so this is a concern for me as to whether I should wait this one out, or if I should go to the ER.

Thank you,
XXXX 26 year old male

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
I need further details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
Yes, kidney and stones in ureter can cause urinary retention.

I would like to know a few more details to help you better:

1. Since when are you noticing short stream?
2. Any burning in urine?
3. Any fever?
4. Any history of pain in lower abdomen that us radiating to groins?
5. How is your over all urine output?
6. Do you have difficulty in passing urine?
7. Any medications you took recently?

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me and answer these questions preferably in point wise manner.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Dr. Anshul Varshney