What are the symptoms of inflammatory arthritis?

Dr. Alokkalyani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Oct 2015 in Lupus
Question: Does osteoarthritis cause you to be stiff in the am and everytime you sit for 45 minutes or more, u need to move around to get the stiffness and pain to go away. Also I awake at night with pain, Should this be tested for a possible inflammatory arthritis? Also my neck is stiff and I have limited use of turning it. My stiffness is in my back and hips mainly but also in my peripheral joints.I have a history of being sick with SLE for 6 years of treatment then my labs quit showing it. I had my first knee replacement at 35 with AVN and total bone on bone. I have had two others and lots of tendenitis even in my achille heels.
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
inflammatory arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Osteoarthritis may cause stiffness for few minutes, but if stiffness can occur for more than 30 minutes, inflammatory may be more possibility.
Your history of SLE, AVN and tendinitis and neck stiffness hinted that you have inflammatory arthritis. Probably you have spondyloarthritis.
I advised you to go for inflammatory markers ESR and CRP
Further you need to go for HLA B27 and xray

Hope this will help

take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj