question-icon

What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015
Question: hi ..i just found out thru a bloodtest .. that my thyroid is underactive..i guess hypothroidism. i am going monday for further bloodwork. im kinda freaking out lol. am i over reacting ... should there be anything to fear, or be really concerned about.

thank you
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (33 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
probably not

Detailed Answer:

You haven't mentioned the actual values of the hormonal tests so I can't be very specific. Hypothyroidism is usually caused by an autoimmune process called thyroiditis Hashimoto. While treatment is pretty straightforward, there are potential complications. The treatment consists of the missing hormone.

Left untreated hypothyroidism may become so severe to threaten the life of the patient Because of the hormonal changes. Besides that, the increased hormonal pressure to the thyroid may result in the development of a malignant t
tumor.

So in conclusion there are things to worry about! Don't be scared thiugh because the treatment is easy to follow.

Kind regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis