• question-icon

What are the symptoms of herpetic stomatitis?

Posted on Mon, 6 Apr 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have 3 question about my health. I am getting recurrent mouth poblem. I feel some part of skin inside cheeks feels rough and skin will go away in one or 2 days and i will have bad taste for week and it happend 2-3 times in last 3 months. It all started with cough and fever.
Saliva tested for microbiology result says normal salive no fungal or bacterial infection.

My question
1. Can oral hepes be painless ? I have absolutley no pain at the place where skin is rough. (I doubt on oral herps becuase somebody kissed me in party whom i dont know).
2. Is it possible that hepers cause sores only inside mouth and nothing on lip ?
3. If suppose mouth gets infected by herpes virus , is it possible that oral herps will cause genital herps ?(i dony have any sores on genital area) but i am getting a groin pain so i doubt is this virus from mouth passes directly to inside genital area ?(I never had sex so no chance of getting infected at genital).
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely that you have oro-labial Or genital herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have taken note of your query and I will try to answer the best I can

This is unlikely to be herpetic stomatitis..
Herpetic stomatitis is usually symptomatic and there is lot of pain and other symptoms like difficulty in swallowing and drooling.
Herpetic stomatitis involves areas like gingiva, hard palate as well as labial and buccal mucosa with well defined erosions..

Herpes acquired through kissing is known as oro-labial herpes and labial herpes usually causes sores on or around the lips and not just oral sores..

Oral herpes cannot by itself lead to genital herpes.
Herpes is a local infection and is acquired only at the site of direct contact with infected partner who also has herpes at the site of direct contact e.g oro-labial herpes/ cold sores may transmit to a sexual partner through kissing leading to oro-labial herpes Or through performing oral sex leading to genital herpes.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Hello Doc, Thank you. wat could be other reason for mouth problem, I hv dis bitter feeling in mouth, skin inside cheeks looks like ruptured somedays nd gets clears up nd no pain during eating nd also it never burns wen I eat spicy food nd also i never obsrved bleeding. Usually the skin inside cheek feeling is something similar wen we eat something nd sleep vthout drinking water after it , vthout brush if v sleep v hv some different feeling at the place whre we hv left some food . I really dont understand it. Intially 1doc treated witb antifungal and antibiotic nd he asked me to stop everything after saliva test resulted normal vthout fungus or bacteria. Afte such lession i also developed dry mouth and whole mouth was burning including lips for day or 2 but i didnt have any kind of sores on lips or mouth during dryness. Currently I am consulting other doc and he said its unidentified stomatitis nd put me on mesacol 400 once a day. Whn i get up in the morning i have very bad
feeling in mouth.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you to take an oral B -complex vitamin supplement

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I would suggest you to take an Oral B- Complex vitamin once daily.

This type of non-specific stomatitis is most likely a result of vitamin deficiency and therefore empirical treatment with B-complex vitamin is what I would recommend in your case.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist