What are the symptoms of heart failure?

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Mar 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Last week I had fluttering feeling in chest. E.R. visit revealed an EKG was a bigemini pattern. I was given a beta blocker i.v. and a potassium drink because my blood work revealed low potassium. Physician stated I was not in heart failure but need to have a followup with a cardiologist.

I am 54 year old female with no history of heart disease. I do not smoke and lead a very active lifestyle - run, bike , hike. My primary care physician did a follow up ekg and it looked much better. She has also advised a cardiologist follow up and in the mean time she told me to discontinue my thyroid meds (liothyronine) and to keep my heart rate under 90 until after cardiologist visit. She stated she does not think my problem is anatomical, but physiological whatever that means.

What should I look for in cardiologist sub specialty? What questions should I be asking??
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
General cardiologist can help for sure

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs,

General cardiologist can surely help you, I think there will be no need to consult a sub-specialist such as arrhythmologist. Your case seems to be an uncomplicated and most likely to be caused by hypokalemia, or thyroid problems if you take thyroid hormone.

There will be a need for echocardiography to rule out structural heart disease, holter monitoring to check the absolute amount of extrasystolies.
If you were my patient I would check thyroid function and repeat serum electrolyte tests as well.

The treatment mainly will be determined by the results of the examinations, if there is a need for treatment, the main strategy will be beta blockers and thyroid hormone level adjustment if there will be abnormality.

Hope I could help you

Wishing you good health

In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Thank you for your response. I have uploaded my recent blood work results from Friday which show a TSH level of .888 and a t3 level of 1.6.

My potassium seems to have been okay as well.

Does anything in this report raise a flag for you in light of my symptoms last Wednesday?

As I mentioned earlier, the Friday EKG seemed to be "in rhythm". I would appreciate it if you could look at this report with a cardiologist viewpoint and see if you see anything that needs to be asked by me.

Thank you again, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Problem with the upload

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs,

Could you try to upload your report once more.
I couldn't see any uploaded file.