question-icon

What are the symptoms of heart attack?

Posted on Tue, 19 May 2015
Question: I am a 40 year old male. I am 6' 2" and 255 lbs. I have been very short of breath all day long and was just curious about heart attack symptoms. There have been times in the past when I have had trouble catching my breath. I also have severe sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP. I did not sleep very well last night and I figured it had something to do with that. I don't seem to have any other symptoms other than trouble breathing. Should I be looking for anything else or should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Better to get done PFT, 2d echo and ABG analysis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your situation and problem.
By your history and description, following are the possible causes for your symptoms.
1. Heart failure
2. Hypoxia (low oxygen) and /or hypercarbia (high carbon dioxide).
3. Obstructive airway disease.
Sleep apnea patients are at high risk for heart failure, Hypoxia, hypercarbia and bronchospasm.
So better to get done
1. 2d echo to rule out heart failure.
2. ABG (arterial blood gas) analysis to rule out Hypoxia and hypercarbia.
3. PFT(Pulmonary Function Test) to rule out Obstructive airway disease.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist