What are the symptoms of gout?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015 in General Health
Question: hi. Every once in awhile I get this sharp pin like pain on the bottom of my right toe. I thought a bug bit me at first since that is what it fealt like. Have any idea what this off and on bug like pain is. Sometimes i get it elsewhere too, but it is mainly on my big toe. thanks
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be an acute attack of gout.

Detailed Answer:

According to your description , pain over your right toe seems to be inflammatory in nature. It could be an acute attack of gout.
I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination and rule out any infective cause.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 minutes later
it is not inflammed, not red. It feels like I got bitten by a bug off and on I cannot take antiinflammatories. thanks
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get serum uric acid level checked out.

Detailed Answer:

As this sharp pain occurs off and on, it could be due to increase uric acid level.Great toe is most frequent site for its deposition.
I suggest you to get your serum uric acid level checked outand get it evaluated by your doctor.

Warm regards.