What are the symptoms of frozen shoulders?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What are the symptoms of so called frozen shoulder? My wife suffer from pain in her left hand. Any movement gives her a pain like dental nerv. We are schedulated on MRI on XXXXXXX 5 . I got to know from a friend that it possible caused by frozen shoulder syndrome.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain or inability to lift arm above shoulder is main symptom

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your wife had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, the kind of pain your wife is suffering from isn't typical of frozen shoulder but it is rather more typical of pain of nerve entrapment like in cervical spondylosis and may need to be ruled out by cervical spine MRI to look for any signs of disc prolapse or blulge or narrowing of spaces between vertebrae.

Nerve conduction studies or EMG can be done to look for the type of nerve involved. Contrary to that frozen shoulder usually presents with inability to lift arm above the level of shoulder due to adhesions of shoulder joint capsule causing restriction of movement or severe pain on doing so, and usually recovers with physiotherapy, anti inflammatory drugs or in some cases removal of adhesions under GA.

Wishing her a quick recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T