What are the symptoms of electrolyte imbalance?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Symptoms of electrolyte deficiency?
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take Gatorade but if it doesnt help consider lab examinations

Detailed Answer:
Dear Patient,

Welcome and thank you for posting your question.

Because electrolytes have so many different roles within the body, an imbalance normally causes noticeable changes in how you feel pretty quickly. Depending on the type of electrolyte imbalance you experience, a number of symptoms can occur including:

Muscle aches, spasms, twitches and weakness
Restlessness
Anxiety
Frequent headaches
Feely very thirsty
Insomnia
Fever
Heart palpitations or irregular heartbeats
Digestive issues like cramps, constipation or diarrhea
Confusion and trouble concentrating
Bone disorders
Joint pain
Blood pressure changes
Changes in appetite or body weight
Fatigue (including chronic fatigue syndrome)
Numbness and pain in joints
Dizziness, especially when standing up suddenly
To diagnose an electrolyte imbalance, your doctor can perform a few different tests to determine your electrolyte levels. Most likely your health care provider will discuss your medical history with you, any reoccurring symptoms you experience, and take a urine and blood test to identify any abnormalities.

It’s also sometimes necessary to have an EKG test, ultrasound or X-rays of your kidneys in order to look for severe electrolyte imbalances that can put you at risk for heart complications.

Your doctor will look for any noticeable changes in optimal electrolyte levels, including very high or low potassium, magnesium or sodium levels. These are usually fairly easy to spot since the body works very hard to keep electrolyte concentrations within a narrow range.

For the moment you can take the Gatorade or other similar drinks, but keep an eye if the situation does not improve.

I wish you a fast relief,
Eni MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad