What are the symptoms of diabetes insipidus?

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Mon, 6 Apr 2015 in General Health
Question:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/99zlkbsyit9yyh7/Lab%20Results%20-%20WellnessFXf.pdf?dl=0

Lab results are a little over year old but my issues are getting worse now and I don't have a lot of money to blow on a lot of test.

I wake up with a really bad headache Evey morning and it goes down a couple hours later but never really leaves. It feels like when you stand up really quick and you get dizzy for a while but all the time. Also I'm really fatigued all the time. Sometimes ill have a good day but most of the time after working 8 hours all I want to do is rest. I sleep 9 to 12 hours a day some times more if I feel horrible. If I sleep less I can't get though my work day. I have really bad pain behide my eyes making it really have to concentrate on anything. I'm really thirsty for water and urinate more than most people. I pee clear almost always. My stools change allot but I get the runs often. I eat a lot of fryed foods. Sweets and fruit make me feel worse. I don't drink pop or coffee cause they make me feel worse. I'm would not blame this on depression because on good days I'm happy with my life. When I feel like crap I don't feel motivated to do anything. I googled a lot already and it sounds like diabetes but my a1c test from the lab results said levels were normal. I wanted to post a few places before I go to the doctors and demand a fasting glucose test. So please help me out and tell me what you think. Thank you - XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
?Diabetes Insipidus (DI)

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
There is a possibility that you are having Diabetes Insipidus (DI) as you have polyuria (urinate more than most people) which may disturb sleep and cause mild daytime fatigue or somnolence.
It also results in a slight rise in plasma osmolarity that stimulates thirst(really thirsty for water).
First screening is simple i.e. collecting a 24-hour urine on ad libitum fluid intake.
If the volume exceeds 50 mL/kg per day (3500 mL in a 70-kg male) and the urine osmolarity is <300 mosmol/L, DI is confirmed and the patient should be evaluated further to determine the type.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 25 minutes later
how often because I go to the restroom every couple hours. drink over a gallon of water a day. when I'm sleeping I wake up about twice a night to use the restroom but go right back to sleep. does it cause headache and feeling horrible?
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow-up query

Detailed Answer:

Association of headache,fleeting depression and polyuria points towards the second subtype, psychogenic polydipsia,in which polydipsia (drinking over a gallon of water a day ) seems to be a feature of psychosis or obsessive compulsive disorder but it is not associated with thirst, and hence you don't fit into that type.
Nocturia,may disturb sleep and you feel fatigue all day.
Fatigue/lethargy may also be due to electrolyte disturbance (High or high normal plasma sodium ) consequent to polyuria.
Headache also points towards possibility of Pituitary diabetes insipidus (neoplasm).
You may first undertake the inexpensive investigation as already advised.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj