What are the symptoms of dementia and how is it diagnosed?
Symptoms mainly seen in impairment of recent memory.
I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern towards the memory problems.
Anyway, dementia is expected at this age, but firstly, organic causes needs to be ruled out.
So, I would advise you to get CT brain plain done, complete blood picture, electrolytes, LFT, RFT, to rule out any organic pathology.
The symptoms mainly composed of impairment of recent memory, that is about the events occurred in the past 24 hours.
But, before getting in to conclusion, l would like to know since how long he has these memory disturbances? Any history of confusion?
There is less possibilities if it is an acute onset, as dementia is a gradually progressive disease.
I would advise you can also test him by mini mental status examination that is MMSE.
So, consult your doctor regarding these symptoms, investigations and MMSE.
Hope this information would help you.
Dr. Soujanya, Psychiatrist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Symptoms of dementia and depression
- Louie body dementia symptoms
- Early symptoms of vascular dementia
- Dementia death symptoms
- Dementia and shaking symptoms
- Symptoms of diagnosed with dementia
- Symptoms of frontal lobe dementia
- Signs and symptoms of dementia
- Lewy body dementia symptoms
- Vascular dementia symptoms and stages