What are the symptoms of dementia and how is it diagnosed?

Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Symptoms of dementia. Made chicken noodle soup, forgot the chicken...goes to the store with a shopping list...comes home without the item (out of stock XXXXXX, XXXXXX, XXXXXXX, XXXXX XXXXXX)...need more info? Trying to get him to go to a Doctor and be honest
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Symptoms mainly seen in impairment of recent memory.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern towards the memory problems.

Anyway, dementia is expected at this age, but firstly, organic causes needs to be ruled out.

So, I would advise you to get CT brain plain done, complete blood picture, electrolytes, LFT, RFT, to rule out any organic pathology.

The symptoms mainly composed of impairment of recent memory, that is about the events occurred in the past 24 hours.

But, before getting in to conclusion, l would like to know since how long he has these memory disturbances? Any history of confusion?

There is less possibilities if it is an acute onset, as dementia is a gradually progressive disease.

I would advise you can also test him by mini mental status examination that is MMSE.

So, consult your doctor regarding these symptoms, investigations and MMSE.

Hope this information would help you.

Dr. Soujanya, Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana