What are the symptoms of deep veins thrombosis?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
i am having fear that the pains I am having in my leg may be DVT. I do not have insurance and wont have until september as my husband just started a new job. Will ER's still see me and give me an ultrasound? i am afraid to let it wait until september. No chest pain or shortness of breath except possibly from my anxiety. I have an ache and that is in my left calf that also affects the back of my knee back and forth. I am still able to walk but feel the soreness. I am 39 and 115 lbs. Non smoker, no birth control, no recent surgery, etc. But I have read all over the internet that there have been cases where there are no obvious DVT symptoms and people have had them and even ended up with pulmonary embolisms. I am so scared.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

If the suspicion of deep veins thrombosis is serious, ER should diagnose it as it is life threatening condition.
Your symptoms can indicate such possibility. Calf pain, calf hardness, positive Homans sign (please see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homans_sign) give the possibility of veins thrombosis.
Veins thrombosis can appear without obvious reason, that's true.

So if you have such symptoms, please do not risk. Go to ER. D-dimers should be done at first. If elevated, than Dopplers ultrasound is necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.