What are the symptoms of colon cancer?
Hi, my dad has just had his first colonoscopy (he is 70 years old) and they found one polyp (1cm) which is being biopsied. He has an awful diet and drinks and smokes heavily and gets no exercise.
With this in mind what are the chances of this being hereditary and not lifestyle. And does this mean I should have a colonoscopy earlier than 50 years old (I'm currently 43 years old).
Thanks for your help.
Don't see any reason ro run colonoscopy earlier than 50s
I understand your concerns.
Although colon cancer has a hereditary pattern, however, it does not mean that you have 100% chances to get cancer. If you follow a healthy diet, do not smoke, can take good control of stress, then, your chances are reduced although your father is diagnosed with colon polyps.
I do not see any reason to have a colonoscopy now unless you are having some GI problems.
I'm not having GI issues in that region. Most websites suggest to start at 40 if there is family history of polyps, why do you suggest not rushing?
I don't smoke, but do drink socially. I have a good varied diet and try and exercise a bit. Could lose a couple of pounds though.
The screening is advised after 50s in patients with family history of inflammatory/hyperplastic polyps.
In cases of adenomatous polyps, screening can start prior to 50s. So it all depends on the type of polyps present.
Looking forward to have the biopsy report to evaluate your risk and if you need screening.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Symptoms of colon cancer
- Symptoms of invasive colon cancer
- What are the signs and symptoms of colon cancer
- Symptoms of recurrent colon cancer
- Major symptoms of colon cancer
- Descending colon cancer symptoms
- Colon cancer symptoms of dying
- Common colon cancer symptoms
- Symptoms of younger colon cancer
- Transverse colon cancer symptoms
- Have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome due to mild lupus. Have...
- Had sinus infection and prescribed with amox clav. Recommended to have...
- Using anti wrinkle cream with Retinol. Lips peeling and crackling....
- What causes feeling of foul taste coming from stomach when i burp?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain and vomiting post hip surgery
- Is it normal to have spillage from fistulectomy wound?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain
- What causes dark stools and itchy anus?
- What causes burning in the upper part of throat?
- What does elevated CA level indicate?