question-icon

What are the symptoms of colon cancer?

Posted on Mon, 11 May 2015
Question: Colonoscopy -

Hi, my dad has just had his first colonoscopy (he is 70 years old) and they found one polyp (1cm) which is being biopsied. He has an awful diet and drinks and smokes heavily and gets no exercise.

With this in mind what are the chances of this being hereditary and not lifestyle. And does this mean I should have a colonoscopy earlier than 50 years old (I'm currently 43 years old).

Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (55 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Don't see any reason ro run colonoscopy earlier than 50s

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

Although colon cancer has a hereditary pattern, however, it does not mean that you have 100% chances to get cancer. If you follow a healthy diet, do not smoke, can take good control of stress, then, your chances are reduced although your father is diagnosed with colon polyps.

I do not see any reason to have a colonoscopy now unless you are having some GI problems.

Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu (1 hour later)
Thanks!

I'm not having GI issues in that region. Most websites suggest to start at 40 if there is family history of polyps, why do you suggest not rushing?

I don't smoke, but do drink socially. I have a good varied diet and try and exercise a bit. Could lose a couple of pounds though.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (14 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Following explanation

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

The screening is advised after 50s in patients with family history of inflammatory/hyperplastic polyps.

In cases of adenomatous polyps, screening can start prior to 50s. So it all depends on the type of polyps present.

Looking forward to have the biopsy report to evaluate your risk and if you need screening.

Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist