What are the symptoms of brain tumor?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Good afternoon. I've been seeing some very slight shadows/outlines beside objects since 3 days ago and I'm very worried about it. My vision has always been perfect and I've done a brain scan 5 months ago (for other reasons), and it was normal. But since this weird vision symptom started, I've been worrying if it can be caused by some serious problem in the brain. Is it possible that, though I have a recent brain scan with normal results, this vision problem can be caused by some serious brain problem? I've been to a neurologist yesterday, and she said that this vision problem couldn't be caused by any serious brain condition because in 5 months a serious thing wouldn't develop enough to make me have vision symptoms like this. She said I didn't need to do another brain scan. But I'm still worried about being a brain tumor that could have developed in 5 months that's causing these slight shadows, because they are still very slight, so I'm worried the shadows could be not so bad yet because the problem could be in the beggining. I have severe anxiety and my neurologist said I should blame these vision symptoms on it, but I'm still very worried, as these shadows/outlines are scary. You think i should do another brain scan? or is my neurologist right? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I must say I do side with your neurologist. There are two types of visual symptoms that a brain tumor would cause (if that was the case). It could affect oculomotor nerves, responsible for the eye movement, hence eyes wouldn't move together and it would manifest with diplopia, double vision.

The other possibility would be if it affected the visual cortex, or the nerve fibers ending in the visual cortex. In this case it would cause a defect in the visual field, meaning not seeing objects which are situated on the left or right of the visual field. So if visual fields are not affected (I am assuming the neurologist tested that) there is no reason to think there is involvement of visual pathways.

So I do not think these shadows indicate a tumor as they do not correspond to brain anatomy, it doesn't manifest with shadows beside objects, doesn't make any logic for a medical specialist who knows brain anatomy.

For thar reason, coupled with the normal scan 5 months ago, I agree with your neurologist another scan is not necessary.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.