What are the symptoms of autism in toddlers?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor
My son is now 13month old. I read some article about autism now its causing concerned to me
My baby can clap(when excited), wave(in request), Point to show me things bt dont do d gaze checkin, but yesterday he point to the tap in d sink n said "tap"..he has a very good memory and can show everything in the book
He is walking from 11month.
What making me concerned is he never hand me object(sometimes on request), althought he tried to feed me from glass few days back.. He dont shakes his head no or yes..he doesnt always respond to his name...although he has Lot of XXXXXXX names...and when i Sing song to him he foccused on my mouth den eyes..he smiled And laugh a Lot. Bt he love object dat spins like wheels of cars And fans but not obsessed with it. He dont babble much but can say maa, pa,ball,tree,crow,cock,fish,tap,dada(brother) n he literally know d meaning.
Please tell me is it normal or m overconcerned?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Autism screening can be done online

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Based on the description it does not seem concerning. Nevertheless, I would insist you to visit https://m-chat.org/en-us/page/take-m-chat-test/online and answer the questionnaire. Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers, Revised (M-CHAT-R) is a standardized test for screening of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). In case the test shows low risk, you need not worry. In case the test indicates risk, you would need to visit a child psychiatrist and get the child evaluated.

Let me know if I could help further.

.....................................................

Brief Answer:
Will take some time to develop

Detailed Answer:
Since the risk is low you need not worry. It is very normal for a child of this age not to share things. Give it some time. As the child grows, the child will learn to share.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
I took the mchat test And ir shows los risk the only thing he dont do most among the queries is show/give object to share..i saw Many children of his age Who bring things to parents..is ir normal? sorry i am a first time mother and i overanalyzed thing..