• question-icon

What are the symptoms of asthma and COPD?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in General Health
Question: If a person has very mild asthma. Or if they have very mild copd, what would the symptoms you would expect to see

I have mentioned and somewhat bragged that over the years my PFTs have stayed in the same range. Of course the range is the percent of expected. Expected ranges ajdust downward by age. If the predicted number in Fvc or fev reduces and the actual matches that predicted. Is breathing a bit reduced than what it was when younger? Fortunately I have kept the same numerical number on my recent pft as I did 15 years ago so I'm not having an issue but was just wondering

Oh what did you say about running out of breath when speaking. Is that a side effect of anxiety and panic. I only recall it beginning since my anxiety sky rocketed
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, running out of breath while talking is also seen in anxiety and panic.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
And yes, breathing is also reduced with age.
But no worries as predicted values in PFT machine are also variable with age.
Since you are having stable PFT values over 15 years, I don't think you are having COPD or asthma.
Other symptoms for asthma and COPD are
1. Coughing with or without expectoration?
2. Wheezing
3. Chest tightness
4. Allergic reaction like sneezing, rashes, watering eyes etc.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist