What are the symptoms of a miscarriage?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I was told on Thursday, by my GP that I am pregnant. By 5pm Thursday evening, I started spotting...brownish discharge. I was not scared as I thought implantation? Just now I have wiped after going to the bathroom, and it's red...not heavy like a period but nonetheless red! I m 42, unplanned pregnancy, strangely enough took nortisthone to stop period whilst on holiday and period never returned! I also took a home kit which stated 3+ weeks. I never thought I could conceive naturally as my daughter was via IVF. Feeling scared that I m miscarrying? You re thoughts/ advice would be greatly appreciated.mmany Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Implantation bleed is a fesh one.

Detailed Answer:

Implantation bleed is usually seen at about the time of the expected period and is a fresh bleed. Brownish discharge usually indicates old or altered blood.

In the current scenario, the ideal thing to do would be to see a specialist, get a proper clinical evaluation followed by an estimation of the serum beta-hCG titres to confirm/exclude pregnancy. If positive, a trans-vaginal sonogram would help to know the status of the pregnancy.

In the event of any intrauterine bleed, appropriate treatment should be ensued. Hormone supplements, absolute bed rest, avoidance of all strenuous activity including sexual intercourse are suggested.

The fact that you used Norethisterone to postpone your cycles also should be remembered and reported to your consultant. This discharge could also be due to some withdrawal bleeding if pregnancy is negative.

Home pregnancy tests read well 3-7 days after a missed period when performed with a fresh early morning sample of urine.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.