What are the symptoms of a minor head injury in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on 7 hours ago in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

I have a 6 months old son. We were trying to make him sit on the ground by putting blanket at his back. He sat for few seconds and then leaned back by force. It resulted in him hitting back of his head on the ground. He cried for a minute after that and stopped crying and became normal after I took him in my arms. I am worried if that would have resulted in some injury to his head.
Please advice if this looks like to be a concern.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not seem to be a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:

Let me assure you that going by the description things do not appear unusual. If 'head injury' occurs, it will not be without manifestations. The main concern could be the ominous signs of head injury which are:
* Vomiting
* Severe headache
* Altered consciousness or loss of consciousness
* Convulsions

I assume that none of these has occurred. Unless any of these are present you need not to worry. If any of these occur, you would need to get a CT scan of the brain done.

Give paracetamol or acetaminophen in case the child is irritable due to pain.

A child is supposed to be able to sit on his own by 8 months of age. I would insist you not to try to rush the process. Give him the time he needs. Development will occur in time.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T