What are the symptoms of a leaking brain aneurysm?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Brain Tumor
Question: How would one know if a brain aneurysm started leaking? I felt a leaking in my head yesterday and had slight pain in my head when I did the valsalva maneuver. I dont have any risk factors of an aneurysm, besides the fact that I used to hold my breath while lifting weights.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. The commonest symptoms of a possible leaking brain aneurysm are severe headache (described by some as the worst headache of their life) and dizziness. There can also be vomiting, nausea and loss of consciousness. Rarely it can lead to neck rigidity and unresponsive patient. This happens because of development of sub arachnoid haemorrhage which causes irritation of nerve endings covering the brain. While Valsalva induced headache is seen in a congenital abnormality termed Chiari malformation, it may also occur with other cluster headaches. These require detailed clinical examination by a neurologist. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek