What are the symptoms of STD?
The last question i asked was answered well but my question wasnt complete and truthful. This time i will be
in the beginning of sept 2014 i had an unprotected sexual encounter with a male. he gave me oral for 5-10 minutes, then we had very brief penis touching. about 12-15 days later i started to feel strange in the genital area. feeling of patchy "heat" around the groin and upper inner thigh, abdominal bloating, weaker urine stream, reddish patchy red circumsized penis head. about 40 days later pain after ejaculation and a little burning after peeing. also the penis hole was a little darker red around the edges. I had a blood test 21 days after the encounter for hiv, clamidya, gonnoria, herpes 1 and 2, all came out negative except for herpes 2 (hsv 2 genital herpes). at first this was worrysome and a XXXXXXX but after investigation and consultation more than one physician told me it was from a prior infection. So at about 2 months i started to suspect trichomoniasis and went to planned parenthood and obtained a prescription for flagyl one dose for pills. I wanted to get tested but they said that they dont test men. It seemed that after a day or so i felt better penis head more relaxed and pinkish, fuller urine stream, softer epydidimis (it was swollen before the flagyl). Now, before i took the flagyl i had unprotected intercourse with my wife and now worried that if i caught trich she has it too. after about 1.5 - 2 wks after taking the flagyl, i had unprotected intercourse with my wife again, and about 2 days later started to see more redness of the penis head, feel more abdominal bloating and swelling/pain in groinal lymph area. Also, i have redness in the face and noticed that my wife also has redness in the face that is not always there but definitely after any physical excertion or if the weather is warmer.
Now, i really wish i can be tested and actually took a urine test to test for trichomoniasis and it came back negative. My wife seems to itch the vagina more frequently but it may be my imagination, she seems to be bloated as well, but again it may be my imagination. so now 4 monthes after having unprotected intercourse with my wife believing i was reinfected with something, i definitely have abdominal bloating ( i feel and am bigger in the abdominal area whether ive eaten or not) I also feel like my lower abdomen/bladder area is burning on the inside. this much later and im still not sure what i have. I have no discharge, just a little dribbling of urine after im done peeing already ( a drop stays on the hole). Also, my penis feels smaller and more flacid when not erect, the penis head is redish on the top and kind of grayish under the head. Other symptoms are kind of "tacky/sticky" groinal genital skin especially after a shower. Also when i am hungry i dont feel well although still bloated, then when i eat i eat voraciously and feel much better after eating. Also my epydydimis is swollen above both testicles but more in the right testicle. Before taking the flagyl and on and of i feel a heaviness in the rectum area on an off but less of that now. my penis head feels sensitive as do the testicles, if i press them i feel pain. I told my primary care physician that my encounter was with a woman and after multiple visits he tells me he doesnt believe i have trich and that my symptoms are all from worry. Also i did get a general blood and urine test prescribed by my primary physician and everything including a psa number of 1 came up normal except for a low (just under the normal range) platlette count. Finally after taking the flagyl, my ears started ringin (a day or two later) and haven't stopped since. I'm doing alot of internet searching and worrying and would like to find out definitively what i have a perhaps my wife has the same thing so that if have an std and i know what it is i can tell her to save her the time and worry of evaluation. Is it possible that the hsv 2 can cause nerve damage and all this bloating. Sorry about the long question i wanted to be thorough. Thanks for taking the time to read.
My apologies for a long reply sir
Hello sir and welcome.
Thank you for writing to us again.
I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I really appreciate the honestly and elaborate nature of your query sir, and would like you to know that you can feel comfortable with us, as we do not disclose patient details, and maintain utmost respect for our policy, which is your privacy.
Being a long query, I feel I should address different parts of your query differently. Let us start:
1. You had unprotected sexual contact with your wife when you still had your symptoms and hadn't initiated flagyl, which could and would have transmitted the infection to her. After completing the course of flagyl successfully and leaving a healthy gap of about 2 weeks you indulged in sexual contact with your wife once again and re-contracted the symptoms you had prior to the initiation of flagyl. Clearly she has the infection.
2. This clearly indicates an ongoing/active infection in your wife, and quite clearly if it were to be HSV-2 causing the symptoms, you should have had them in the period after taking flagyl, so in a way we can rule out HSV-2 to be causing the symptoms.
3. As flagyl proved to be effective, this proves that the source of the infection is bacterial which places infections like trichomoniasis, chlamydia, gonorrhoea, urinary tract infections, etc; on our list of possible infections
4. Ringing in your ears could indicate conditions that can affect the blood vessels like diabetes, and also hypertension (an increase in blood pressure gives out the thumping, ringing-like sensation)
5. I completely understand how and why you would not want to worry your wife, and can easily just initiate treatment in her without her having to go through the excruciating process of diagnosing her, but women present with vaginal discharge which is quite typical (characteristics like smell, presentation, color, etc.) are in many cases quite sufficient to diagnose or at least suspect a particular infection. Like for example in trichomoniasis the female has symptoms like painful urination, greenish-yellow 'frothy' vaginal discharge, vaginal itching and possibly even swelling, discomfort during sexual intercourse, etc. These specific symptoms can help put forward a suspected diagnosis
6. Getting a urine culture and sensitivity examination will greatly help in confirming/ruling out an infection. As your doctor suspected your symptoms to be anxiety-related or from worry, with this infection we can confirm some abnormality
7. An 8-STD panel is available in most sexual health clinics, and all hospitals and clinics in the countries that I have resided in so far, so getting one will certainly help as it includes most of our suspected infections like trichomoniasis, gonorrhoea, chlamydia, etc.
8. I just wanted to emphasise on the protocol of treating infections (whether STDs or simple urinary tract infections), you need to abstain from all forms of sexual activity and masturbation until diagnosis, during treatment and for at least 2 weeks after the last dose of therapy
9. Nerve damage with HSV-2 has not been documented, although I cannot rule it out completely but in my opinion it is highly unlikely sir
10. Abdominal bloating can be related to diet, lifestyle, stress (which you are certainly under), etc. But is not a well associated symptom for any of the sexually transmitted infections sir
I hope you find my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Please also forgive the long reply, I just wanted to make sure I mention everything that came to my mind.
Thanks very much for your informative response, it is logically presented and is helpful to me for organization of thoughts. You mentioned that bloating is not a typical symptom of any of the stds thats understandable. I just want to mention that i also have groinal lymph swelling and pain as well as seemingly a dull kidney area pain. Still i acknoledge your comment on the bloating and lower abdominal pain as not being std related as i remember my father at one point in his life had higher than normal stress plus extended physical exertion and he complained of lower abdominal pains feeling like is insides were going to blow up or "fall out".
Can you share thoughts on redness in the face and what that most likely matches in terms of an infection. Also thanks for writing that taking the flagyl and getting positive results means that the nature of the infection can be bacterial. Can you reevaluate my symptoms and list any other contagious bacterial or parasitic infections that aren't stds (for obvious reasons).
I think i can close the questioning after this unless i really forgot something important i need to ask. Otherwise thank you so much for your explanation and clarification of the various items i wrote about. This service is very helpful becuase often times during in person office visits there is so much that is not asked because of lack of time. Wishing you and enjoyable weekend remainder.
Please do not hesitate to write to me as many times as you want sir
Hello once again sir.
I am so happy to see that you are taking so much interest in your sexual health, you should always be aware of your sexual health, your partners, and most importantly be safe.
In response to your questions individually sir:
+Groin lymph node swelling can certainly indicate an infection, especially of viral nature. But this is only an assumption, groin lymph nodes swell up with many sexually transmitted infections and as we do not have any definitive symptoms of any one STD, I would recommend an STD panel (consisting of 8 or more infections)
+A rash on the face, without any boils or lesions is considered flushing of the face. This can occur due to various reasons like a fever, climate changes, lowered immunity, some typical shapes of the face redness can be related to systemic conditions (e.g. systemic lupus erythematous, etc.), smokers, respiratory infections, etc
+But if there are any lesions on your face, lips, cheeks, etc. (syphilis) or any blisters around your mouth (herpes related), or possibly even an eye infection like conjunctivitis (related to chlamydia) then these are indeed associated with STDs
Sir, please do not hesitate to write to me anytime. You need not close the discussion until you have cleared all your doubts. And if at all you do close the discussion and then have more questions anytime in the future, then please write to me anytime. Just jot down your query and address it to me and I shall be alerted about your query and shall answer it at the earliest.
I wish you lots of luck and good health sir,
Dr. Shoaib Khan
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is std and what are the symptoms
- Potential std with symptoms of tonsilitis
- Granular pharyngitis std symptoms
- Symptoms of std
- Is chapped lips a symptom of an std
- Std symptoms spots on chest
- Protein in urine std symptoms
- Std symptom hunger
- Micro spots on face what std symptom
- What are the signs and symptoms of std
- Not getting proper sleep, don't want to take sleeping pills. What to take?
- Radiation done for tongue cancer. Started getting pain. How to overcome...
- How to get rid of swollen and painful inner labia?
- Have bradycardia. Got positive stress test and qrs-t angle on ekg. Risk...
- Suffering from chronic acute bronchitis and recurrent pneumonitis. Safe...
- Hard bump appeared on inner thigh and lower abdomen. What could be...
- Have severe dry eye. On Restasis. Used moisture pads. Nothing helped....
- Have osteoporosis. Is it safe to stop taking fosomax while on calcium...
- Sudden pop sound in back. Experiencing pain and hot flashes. Took...
- Suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar 2. Why am I...