question-icon

What are the symptoms of HIV?

Posted on Thu, 17 Jul 2014
Question: I have intercourse on 22nd January 2014 during vaginal sex condom slipped, which was noticed at the end. I did 4 HIV tests all came back negative. The last test was done after 106 days from SRL Diagnostic XXXXXXX (Local blood collection point). How authentic was it?

I had the second intercourse on 23rd May 2014. This time protected sex with the same CSW but with deep throat kissing. After 7 days I stated suffering from phlegm where stain of blood coming. I did my 3rd generation antibody test after 19 days of the sex. It came back negative. Still the phlegm generating. Since last 5 days I am suffering from joint pain with popping noise.

Very much afraid. Are these symptoms of HIV. I don't have fever. I am in Kazakhstan and only 3rd generation antibody test available.

Waiting for your reply.

Best regards,
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (46 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Kissing carries negligible risk for HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Ranbaxy SRL is a very good laboratory in XXXXXXX , A negative HIV test after 105 days is very much conclusive that you are free from HIV.
Regarding your second contact you had it protected. Kissing (deep kissing) has a negligible risk for HIV. But an ordinary throat infection is very much possible by throat kissing. Anybody can get a throat infection. Such a common nuisance. Moreover the earliest possibility HIV manifestation can occur only after 4-6 weeks in the presence of infection and not earlier. So your symptoms could not be due to HIV.
Appropriate antibiotics in adequate dose and for adequate duration will cure your problem.
HIV test after 12 weeks to rule out HIV will relieve your mental tension. 3rd generation test is equally good.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan (6 minutes later)
Thanks for your clarification. But just the answer of the following question I could not understand much. Can you elaborate it little bit?

Can joint pain and this kind of throat infection can be because of HIV? Please note that I have no fever. May be one lymph little swelled.

Best regards,
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are not specific to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Once again I affirm that a HIV manifestation can not occur within a week or ten days after the infection It took not less than 4 weeks. More over earlier manifestation can occur only with 50% of individuals with infection. Sore throat and joint pain are not at specific symptoms to denote the presence of HIV. Only with a test HIV can either be confirmed or ruled out. Very late stage of the disease, say after 15 years or more, when the immunity lost below safe level, certain diseases themselves indicating the presence of HIV. Here also test has to support the findings.
Dr S.Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist