Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

What are the symptoms of Gout?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10363 Questions
What does someone deal with the problem of gout?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Gout happens when there are increased uric acid levels in the blood and the uric acid crystals start depositing in the joint capsules causing the joint inflammation.

It can happen due to decreased excretion of urates by kidney, dietary changes or due to genetic predisposition.

It is associated with consumption of alcohol, seafood and meat.

Taking a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C, dairy products and coffee is likely to help in improvement of symptoms.
I hope this answers your query effectively.

Drink plenty of water daily to help the kidneys clear the uric acid. Reducing meat intake mill help a little. If it is causing you symptoms, you can seek medical help and ask your doctor to prescribe you some analgesics and specific medicines which increase the uric acid excretion from the kidneys.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What are the symptoms of Gout? 2 days later
I didn't know about the vitamin c. I am not sure foods such as meat and sea food have much effect. I eat less of these and alcohol - no beer and only a little white wine. I find cold damp weather and hot humid weather is more likely to affect me.

Also, is there any way to monitor uric acid levels? Can I tell by the colour of the urine?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Weather can precipitate the pain; but is not likely to enhance the deposition of uric acid crystals in the joints which is the main cause of joint inflammation.

To monitor the uric acid levels, you need to have a blood test at the laboratory . It cannot be assessed by seeing the urine.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor