What are the symptoms of ADHD?

Dr. Meera Kotecha

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in ADHD
Question: i want to know if my son has adhd or not
i would like to discuss all his symptoms on the phone
dr a neurologist did brainwave test and that was negatve so he said h di not have add but then he called back and said keep the appointment on saturday we will discuss the medicine for him 4 hours laterhis symptoms only at home he takes too ling to eat gets up frequently
cant remember certain info keeps asking
procrastinates work
gets distracted at work
dad taught him difficult subject and he passes
does not get ready on time
he does better if someone is on his back all the time
Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes, he might have ADHD

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using health care magic.
From what ever symptoms you have described its possible that your child has ADHD.
Does he looses things easily? Does he fail to organize? Can he wait for his turn?
Does he have the symptoms at school also? Symptoms should be in more than one settings for it to be ADHD.
Brain wave testing at present has limited role in the diagnosis. Its the symptoms and their affecting the routine functioning which is required for the diagnosis.
I would suggest you consult a developmental and behavioral paediatrician for him.
Please get back to me with answers.
Please feel free to ask further queries
I hope I have helped you.
Thank you.
Dr XXXXXXX kotecha

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D