What are the symptoms of ADHD?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 5 May 2014 in General Health
Question: hi i have a grandson who is 11 now and has been told that he has ADHD . he is now at a Reach Center in Athens,Ohio. they are watching him to see what is wrong with him and so far no one can help us with him. no one cares. he is very loveable one minute and then the next minute he is going tooth and nail with you or someone else he has no remorse to what he says or does to anyone. he has been kicked out of a regular school and now is at a center where he can be watched and there he has said that he wants to kill hisself and no one will find him and have to worry about him being a problem to anyone, we dont know where to turn to get him help. the ADHD medicines make him worse so we dont have him on anything now. so can you help us try to find someone to help us with him? we live in Belpre. Ohio My name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and my daughters name is candy and my grandson name is makiah. we need help to try to understand what he is thinking and to help him help his self. he is a good kid with a big problem. none of the doctors around here dont seem to care about him. any information will be appreciated. thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: A team management needed here Detailed Answer: Thank you for asking XXXX! Your grandson XXXX is presentation classic signs of ADHD, in which all these symptoms of mood swings and suicidal thoughts are very common.There are three basic types of ADHD.attentional; hyperactive/impulsive; and combined. You grandson looks like he is having third one. Its management is of two basic steps.oneis behavioural and other is with medicines. Now getting expelled from school for ADHD is totally brutal. Teachers need to play their role in this behavioural therapy. Consultants initially involved with diagnosis and evaluation can also be important in promoting the development of study skills. Teachers have an important function. Their periodic feedback about the child's school performance through the use of standardized scales, narrative descriptions, and telephone follow-up is generally an indispensable component of ongoing care. Implementation of academic accommodations and adaptations is often necessary and should be improvised. Also the kid needs ADHD (ADD) coaching, participating in a support group, or both can help normalize the disorder and assist them in obtaining well-focused peer feedback and general information. Prevent the kid from consuming stimulant foods like caffeine and carbonated beverages.caffeine is often consumed in the form of chocolate candy, chocolate milk, or "energy" drinks. Then comes the use of medicines help and compliance to that like Alpha2-adrenergic Agonists,Selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), Antidepressants and Stimulants. Your kid needs a team of Counselors such as psychologists, behavioral developmental pediatricians, clinical social workers, and advanced practice nurses who are well familiarized with ADHD (ADD) and they can be quite valuable to affected children and their families.Behavioral modification and family therapy are usually necessary for optimal care. I hope it helps. Get your kid to mentioned specialists team and let them help the kid. Dont forget to close the discussion please. May the odds be ever in your kid's favour. Regards S. Khan