What are the symptoms of ADHD and treatment required?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in ADHD
Question: Hello, I am XXXXXXX 25. I want to find out if i have adhd-pi. I am doing CA and have been procrastinating preparing for exams for 4 years now. I dont know if i am also depressed.

I had many features of adhd-pi even when I was little like being inattentive in class, loosing pencils daily, etc. I even lost my bag once. my mom says that she always felt that i dint seem to understand what she said and that when i was instructed on how to do any school work, i was always expressionless. I used to blankly stare, fidget with pencils etc.

My mom also has trouble finishing projects that she starts. She is usually bored half way thru and leaves the project.

Currently, i sit and watch internet all day. Its very difficult for me to follow the timetable i lay down for my self. The only way i can control myself is by making myself guilty. Deliberate focused attention or self regulation are very difficult.

I am currently reading a book called XXXXXXX TAKING CHARGE OF ADULT ADHD" by Dr. XXXXXXX A. BARKLEY. He gives nine criteria for identifying the disorder. I ticked yes to all nine of them where the minimum is six.

I have some emotional issues too.

I want a doctor to clarify my emotions for me and also suggest me an expert doctor in bangalore treating adult adhd-pi for getting a professional evaluation done. pls help.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic.
ADHD is a relatively newer diagnosis and a controversial too. Some people feel that it is an illness and needs to be treated. However a few people feel that it is so common and shouldn't be considered as a disease, instead should be considered as a variant of normalcy. Some even allege that it is medicalized by the pharmaceutical industry for their profit.
However in your case the symptoms you have suggested go in favor of ADHD and if you are distressed you should seek treatment. Methylphenidate, a stimulant, is a good drug for ADHD and can show early improvement if you are suffering from this condition.
One thing you should be cautious about is sometimes even a depressive episode is misdiagnosed as ADHD and this may create unnecessary treatment. So one should rule out depression first and hence you should visit a psychiatrist.
In Bangalore NIMHANS is a mecca of psychiatry in India and you should visit the place to seek medical help from one of the XXXXXXX psychiatrists in India.

Hope I am able to solve your query.
I will be happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
If you are satisfied by the answer, you can close the query and rate it accordingly and provide a review if possible.
In future You can contact me directly on this link as well:
WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for the opinion. As for NIMHANS, i ve heard its too crowded there. can you suggest me any other good ADHD psychiatrist in bangalore that you trust. And also please let me know roughly how much would the medications cost, just in case if i have to need them.

XXXXXXX.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 13 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
NIMHANS has a appointment system and have one of the best psychiatrists of the world. Still if you feel you need any other option then Psychiatrists at St. Johns Medical College are also good. Moreover the psychiatrists at St. Johns also see patients on private basis in the hospital itself. It will be a good option for you.
Medication cost will be some where around 1000-1500/month depending on the company you take.
Hope I am able to solve your query.
WWW.WWWW.WW