What are the symptoms of ADD?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been treated for depression for 30 yrs. someone suggested to me to look up ADD I'm a 62 yr old female with type 2 diabetes, and live with chronic pain, having 4 back procedures. MY QUESTION do I need to look into the ADD direction? And where would i start. i live in a rural community in southern NM. i have to travel 180 miles one way to see a specialist. I have been living in bed for the past year. Very depressed!
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Thank you very much for the question.

It sounds like someone has suggested you look into getting evaluated for ADHD. I have a few questions to clarify your situation. Who was it that recommended this to you, and why? Do you have trouble concentrating on one thing at a time? Adult-onset ADHD is possible, but at your age I would consider other things, like cognitive impairment as a result of depression (which you describe and which I think is more likely), or less likely onset of dementia. If you are still depressed despite treatment with Effexor, perhaps you should be switched to a different antidepressant, or pursue augmentation with another drug. Who prescribes your Effexor? A psychiatrist?

Fortunately, although you live in a rural area, there are people like me available to you for further assessment and treatment recommendations. I can't prescribe anything, but I can tell you whether or not you need to make a serious effort to see a specialist. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX psychiatrist working in New York City. For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, or individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 39 minutes later
The suggestion was made by a clinical psychologist. I have struggled with motivation, procrastination (3 yrs behind on filing family IRS) and have slowly lost interest in personal hygiene. I worked in our family business for 15 years then took over the care planning of my parents who lived 250 miles from me until they past.

One of the clues we got was the fact I never complete any tasks and truly thats not new. I have struggled to complete tasks. I never complete reading a book or magazine. Over the past 10 yrs I have slowly given up on trying to push through tasks. I have hired a housekeeper because I like my environment
tidy but I don't want to do it. Any task facing me, I get a knot in my stomach. I cancel Appts on a regular basis with friends, massages, dentist, etc. my husband and I no longer entertain. I hypernate in my bedroom.

Now I take hydrocodone everyday because of 4 back surgeries so I live in chronic pain in my L4-L5 and L5-S1. And my family practice oversees all my medical.

I used to be a vibrant involved person, in my church, my community, our business, my extended family and friends. That is a thing of the past. I'm too young to feel and "not" act this way. Can you give me some direction on this impersonal format?

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow-up

Detailed Answer:
This does not sound like ADHD to me at all. This sounds like clinical depression. Depression affects motivation, leads to procrastination, and accounts for other symptoms such as social withdrawal, loss of interest in things, and anxiety. I would speak to your family practice doctor about changing antidepressants, as it is apparent Effexor is no longer working for you. Given your back pain, Effexor was a good choice, but I would try Cymbalta or Pristiq which also are anti-pain but would give you a better chance of treating these issues appropriately by addressing depression.

tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers