What are the symptoms associated with bone spurs on the spine?
Symptoms are pain with rotation and bending movements of neck or lower back
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. Bone spurs on the spine are associated with degenerative changes taking place in the small vertebrae. They are also called anterior and posterior marginal osteophytes. The symptoms are neck or lower back ache. This increases with movements like rotation of neck or lower back and bending forwards or backwards which cause pressure on nerves and this gets painful. Lifting heavy weights also triggers pain.
2. These appear on X ray like small beaking prominences often seen in the anterior margin of the vertebrae along the superior or inferior end plate.
3. These are usually seen in the neck and lower back regions of the spine. They appear like beaks or claws between two vertebrae. In severe cases claws originating from adjacent vertebrae appear fused and these are known as bridging osteophytes.
4. The bone spurs with associated degenerative disc changes cause pinching of nerve roots and pressure on nerves leading to pain. The bone spurs limit the flexibility of the spine movements and this causes pain and stiffness with painful restriction of movement.
5. Mild to moderate pain in the area can be treated with physiotherapy, medicines including nerve pain relievers and ointments like muscle relaxant and injection shots using steroids. When the pain is severe and not responding to conservative treatment, it might require spine surgery to decompress the nerves.
Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Done with CAT scan and ultrasound. Taking Testosterone. Ultrasound...
- Scheduled for fusion of vertebeae and laminectomy. Should I go ahead...
- Fell down and hurt chest. What are the findings in the x-ray report?
- Is there any treatment to increase the size of penis?
- Had a history of colon cancer and had bowel resection. Left butt is...
- Swollen lymph nodes under arms and groin hurts and have sores. Could...
- Suffered arachnoid hemorrhage after head injury. Suffer constant...
- What is the cause for itchy underarms?
- On warfarin for PE. Having bleeding from rectum. Should I go to the ER?
- Taking amoxicillin for sinus infection. Slight fluctuations in...