Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

What are the symptoms and treatment for adult ADHD?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1525 Questions
Hi, I am a 28 year old male residing in Hyderabad, India and I strongly suspect that I have ADHD and have had it at least since my school days. I only recently discovered the symptoms and they seem to fit me perfectly. It is really affecting my life and based on everything I have read/ talked to others suffering from the disease online, taking treatment seems to significantly improve the quality of life of those affected. Although I am scared and embarrassed, I am willing to go see a doctor for this purpose. However, I am afraid no psychiatrist/ doctor will take me seriously if I go in saying I suspect I have so and so disease. Also, I have read that there a lot of people out there who do not believe that adult ADHD is a real thing. So, I would like the recommendation of some good psychiatrists in Hyderabad who have experience in treating/ working with adult ADHD patients. Please only recommend somebody that you know is experienced/ good at this. Thank you, XXXX
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 4 hours later
Brief Answer: go to NIMHANS Bangalore for detailed evaluation Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for choosing wwww WWW.WWWW.WW I am glad to know that people like you are so much aware and educated in mental health issues in India. You have rightly pointed out that Adult ADHD is a very very controversial entity and about half the experts still don't agree to its existence. I think you should go to NIMHANS ,Bangalore for initial evaluation . Actually there are a lot of problems in treating ADHD in India. First is lack of awareness in many psychiatrists and second is poor availability of stimulant medications . Only Methyl Phenidate is manufactured in India, that too in one formulation only . I have a special interest in ADHD in children as well as Adults. I would,t be able to tell somebody!s name in Hydrabad . There is overall very little experience in treating this disorder so naturally, very scant research . I am sure if you go to a big institute, they will take your problem seriously and try to help you Any more query is welcome Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What are the symptoms and treatment for adult ADHD? 13 hours later
Dear Dr. Saatiish, Thank you for your honest answer. It is really disappointing to hear that I have to go all the way to NIMHAANS for a serious diagnosis. But it is better to hear this upfront than to go to someone who will just dismiss it. This however poses a lot of logistics issues for me. I am staying with parents for the last 6 months and with them there is a lot of stigma attached to mental health. According to them, consulting a psychiatrist is only for the crazies and the suicidal etc. I am sure you get the picture. So, I can't be open with them nor can I just take off to Bangalore. I am not sure how receptive they will be even if I have a doctor diagnosing me having the problem. Especially for a simple sounding issue like concentration when they don't/ can't experience how crippling lack of it can be. Are you aware how long will it take to diagnose the problem, once I go visit a psychiatrist? I am partly asking this to get an idea of how long I will have to stay in Bangalore, if I go there. Any suggestions on how to proceed from here are also very welcome. Once again, thank you so much for your honesty and support. Regards, R.
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 1 hour later
Brief Answer: it will take 2-3 days to diagnose the problem Detailed Answer: Hello I think diagnosis of ADHD requires interviews from you and family members to gather as much information as possible. You may not tell your parents that you have a mental illness but can just say that you tend to forget things so I want to check if some thing can be done. It may take 2-3 days in total. Don't disclose this to anybody and just follow the advice given. Please go through the web site of NIMHANS,BANGALORE.You can go by train or air . DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What are the symptoms and treatment for adult ADHD? 16 minutes later
Thank you for your help. I am closing the question now.
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Screen yourself on YBOCS Scale Detailed Answer: hello I suggest you to assess yourself in XXXXXXX Brown Scale for OCD and see if your symptoms fit in that. If that happens. let me know. May be you XXXXXXX t need to go to bangalore DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor