Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

What are the symptoms and treatment for ADHD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1525 Questions
So recently, I've been wondering if I have ADHD. For my entire life, my friends have jokingly stated "oh, you've got ADD" because I have a hard time sitting still (chronic leg shaking) and I have a hard time following conversations because I'm thinking of other things, and even completing daily tasks. I always brushed off their jokes, but recently, a friend suggested that I seek psychiatric help. I'm completely unorganized, I day dream a lot and think about everything at once, pretty much to the point where it's interfering with my career because I have a hard time getting small tasks done. I stay away all night just thinking. It also has a negative effect on my relationship. My boyfriend gets frustrated because I'll misplace things all the time and forget what I did with the car keys or my debit card. It's so hard for me to motivate myself to work on important projects, but they do get done at the very last minute because I am deathly afraid of getting in trouble at work. I spend 60% of my work day daydreaming, and it's so hard for me to finish the smallest tasks. I've been avoiding going to a doctor about this for the past few years of my adult life because I 1) am possibly in denial and scared to admit that there could be something wrong 2) procrastinate and 3) I am anxious and nervous that they will think I am either out of my mind or just plain lying and that I won't get help. I am scared to bring this up to a doctor because an old co worker told me that asking if I have ADHD is a red flag because "everyone tries to get drugs for it." I know this sounds irrational, but I've let this fear consume me for the past 5 years, and now the possibility of whatever is wrong with me is starting to really have a negative effect on my life. How do I bring this up to a doctor?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Take treatment and don't worry about stigma Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for choosing WWW.WWWW.WW You need to be complimented to consider going to a doctor for your problem. This is the right thing to do. Adult ADHD is a common disorder, often missed by the lay public as well as the medical community and has a social stigma,like any other mental disorder but it is better to get better by getting better by adequate treatment for your problem. You should go to the doctor and talk the same way as you have described yourself now. Having denial is normal but now you are accepting that you have a problem so this is the first barrier crossed. Any competent psychiatrist will know that your concerns are genuine and will get help . Your coworker was right in a way because medicines for ADHD have a huge potential for abuse so people ask for these drugs but you have a genuine problem, you shouldn't worry about these things. It can have a considerable negative effect on your life ,if left untreated, once you have exhausted your coping skills. Hope this is helpful DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor