What are the signs, symptoms and causes of osteoporosis?

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: hi. I had a MRI taken of my knee because I had a little pain. can you give me your take on the attached file? also, can this be caused by osteoporosis? thanks
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see details for report

Detailed Answer:
Hello

My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query & MRI Report and would try to help you in the best possible way. Chondromalacia means degenerative changes which are usually age related and usually patient presents with anterior knee pain on walking up or down stairs. Osteoporosis (reduction in bone mineral density) itself can result due to age. An important things that requires further workup is abnormal signals in femur and tibia. Is there any history of any chronic illness like malignancy? When was the last time you had your medical examination done? Is there any family history of cancer? if yes then which type and in whom?

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 30 minutes later
Thanks. No history of malignancy. I had blood tests in August and various mri's in Oct. example my lower back, etc. No family history of cancer. I take omeprazole for esophagitus and gabapentin for neuropathy. any help would be appreciated
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bone scan is suggested for further assessment

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for getting back with the answers. I have gone through them. In light of details given, i would suggest you to get a bone scan done. Secondly, you can discuss about biopsy as well with your treating doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.
I am thinking that you think it's cancer. I am hoping not. I really thought it was due to my osteoporosis l
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cancer not always malignant, can be benign as well

Detailed Answer:

It is not compulsory that cancer is always malignant. It can be benign as well. We should hope for best. As this thing came out on imaging so best is that we should confirm its nature so that we can manage accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 7 hours later
is there a chance that this is not cancer?
Brief Answer:
Yes, possibility exists, but further workup required

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes, a possibility does exist; so to confirm it we need to get the before-mentioned test done.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 21 minutes later
if it isn't cancer, then what could it be. thanks!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see details

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Although it will be difficult to tell without proper workup and examination few differential includes;

Fibrous Dysplasia, Hyperparathyroidism/hemangiomas, multiple myeloma, metastatic spread, infections.

As mentioned earlier, please get the further workup done so that we can confirm the exact cause and further management can be done accordingly.

Yes, it will hopefully give us the details including the primary site which should also help to plan further.

Take Care!
Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf,

Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 16 minutes later
I am getting nuclear bone scan done. Will this test tell me the answer? also, I'd by chance it is cancer and I am hoping not, would it give me the source. thanks again. I am trying to stay positive and this not being cancer