What are the signs of early pregnancy?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 16 Apr 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: my wife's cycle over the last 3 months has been 33 29 and 32 days... she has had brown spotting for the past 8 days in the morning and occasionally at night ..only noticeable when wiping after going to the toilet...she is currently at day 34...With no period .. There was some cramping and tenderness of the beasts about 4 days ago but this has subsided now... should she take a pregnancy test....?? is this normal and if she Is pregnant what does the spotting mean..??
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
urine pregnancy test advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir thanks for trusting health care magic.
Yes this can be a sign of early pregnancy so you need to do a urine pregnancy test as soon as possible.
And in case positive then get a transvaginal ultrasound at the earliest because of the spotting she is having since few days.
This spotting in early pregnancy can be due to dying intrauterine pregnancy or a tubal ectopic pregnancy so ultrasound is needed to evaluate both of these conditions.
Get the reports and then we can discuss further management.
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 43 minutes later
Are these outcomes the likeliest in this case... If she is pregnant does this mean the pregnancy Is lost
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
depends on the result of pregnancy test

Detailed Answer:
Not necessarily it will result in abortion but definitely she becomes a high risk case.
You do pregnancy test first and in case it comes negative then there is nothing to worry
But if pregnancy test is positive then though it is a good news for you because you are desirous of pregnancy but she will need a lot of care in the form of bed rest and good diet along with special medicines to support pregnancy.
Update me the pregnancy test report so that I can guide you for further management.
All the best.