What are the signs and symptoms of vasculitis?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I suffer greatly from a skin condition called Lipodermatosclerosis, caused by a lifetime of varicosities. I use compression stockings, and have had numerous ultra sound studies to examine my superficial and deep veins. I do not have thrombosis. However, the condition is getting worse, and the pain is constant. My provider (vascular surgeon) is recommending a biopsy to explore the possibility that I have vasculitis.
I am 78 years old had have Diabetes type 2, diagnosed several years ago. I am not on insulin.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
doesnt sound liker vasculitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.
These are not typical symptoms of vasculitis but biopsy can be done. ALso, I would suggest to do angiopgraphy of legs arteries to see possible trombosis of femoral artery. Also , surgery of varicose veins may be considered. Medications may only supress pain but final treatment should be surgical unless there is neurologic or dermatologic nature of your difficulties. To rule out neurologic ones you should od electromiography of legs. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T