• question-icon

What are the signs and symptoms of type 2 diabetes?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Diabetes
Question: what are the symptoms of Type 2 diabetes? I urinate very often, my eyes seems "fuzzy" and want to refocus often (even though I recently had my eyes examined and found no problem), and I am very, very sleepy and would say that I'm sleeping well.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diabetes/urinary tract infection suspected....

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and my answer is as following:

1. You are saying to urinate very often, this makes you lose fluids and electrolytes leading to feeling sleepy.

Increase water intake, together with ORS to replace the lost fluids and electrolytes.

2. Diabetes is one the causes to frequent urination. A simple fasting blood sugar test and urine analysis (which will also detect the presence of glucose in the urine) will determine whether it is diabetes or something else. You can purchase a home blood glucose monitor and measure it at home and urine strips to detect glucose or infection.

Most common symptoms of type 2 diabetes include:
- frequent urination
- excessive thirst
- being tired/fatigued, etc.

3. Infection is also another cause to frequent urination. It can be determined by a simple urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound.

4. Diabetes is often associated with infection;while infection could be the first sign to make us think over diabetes.

If you can't manage to buy the requested home strips, should go to ER or ask an immediate appointment with your physician for further evaluation and treatment.

Once the right diagnosis is made, you'll be prescribed antibiotics/urine antiseptics or hypoglycemiants as per tests results.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini