Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

What are the signs and symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Neurologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2767 Questions
I have been experiencing a mild tingling sensation on the right corner of my mouth and lips, my right jaw and sometimes my right cheek. It seems to come about when I drink alcohol, particularly wine. Sometimes it lasts for several days before subsiding. What is causing this sensation?
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Trigeminal nerve dysfunction to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic,

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

A sensation of the face is an attribute of the trigeminal nerve, so, in my opinion, dysfunction of this nerve (compression for example ) should be considered.

Vascular compression or conflict is one of the causes of this nerve dysfunction.

In cases of alcohol intake, there's a vasodilation of the vessels that may contribute to the neurovascular conflict.

I'd suggest getting a neurological examination first in order to understand your condition better.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor