What are the signs and symptoms of syphilis?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Men's Health
Question: Hi does this look like a syphilis chancre to you or just a normal canker sore? It is also painless. I have never involved myself in oral sex before and it has been 3 months since i had any sexual encounters. I only had protected vaginal sex and received oral sex but i did not give oral sex. By the way i took a std 1 week after having sex and it came out negative. This was 3 months ago. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not chancre

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I have reviewed the attached picture and I do not think it is chancre. The possibility itself becomes remote as there was no oral sex given. In fact chancre occurs at the location where spirochetes enter our body but since no oral sex was given the possibility is next to nil.

The tongue appearance is suggestive of geographical tongue which is normal too have as many people develop it without any consequences.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 27 minutes later
Hi. If it was a chancre would it be painful? And should i just leave it be? and lastly is a syphilis one week after sex considered dependable? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chancre are never painful

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I think you can leave it alone without doing anything. Only thing I will ask you to do is VDRL from nearby laboratory to rule out the even remote possibility of syphilis.This is a simple test which turns positive by the end of two week on most instances. In case RPR was done at the end of one week this is not necessary.

I hope this answers your question.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 16 minutes later
Thanks for your swift reply doctor. One final question from me is can you pinch a syphilis chancre on the penis like a pimple? 2 weeks ago i had a pimple shaped bump on my penis shaft and i pinched it. Pus came out like a pimple. Then now it has healed. No furthur symptoms have arisen since. A syphilis chancre does not look like a pimple right?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It looks like pimple but quite large

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

You are not supposed to pinch a chancre or any other skin season as it may cause disfigurement. Regarding chancre it generally heals within few weeks generally two to four weeks.

In addition pus is not usual for syphylis chancre and at the same time it is quite large in compare to a pimple.

To be on the safer side and most importantly for peace of mind I feel it is better to go for repeat testing as advised above.

Thanks and regards.