Owl Image

What are the signs and symptoms of spondylosis?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, please let me know the Spondylosis Symptoms and Signs. My mother undergone with the X-ray for her neck and doctor informed us its Spondylosis. So, please let me know how severe it is and the symptoms.

Age: 54
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Usually, the spinal cord and nerve roots are protected within the spinal canal. The spinal canal is guarded by the vertebrae which separated from one another by a cushion like intervertebral discs. With age, degenerative changes occur which leads to disc prolapse and spinal cord/cervical spondylosis. Initially it presents as neck stiffness, pain, soreness with tingling and numbness in the ring and little finger. If there is a nerve root compression then the symptoms are more severe.
The severity of the problem can be assessed by seeing the MRI report and a physical examination.
Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.