What are the signs and symptoms of sphincter of Oddi dysfunction?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 5 Jan 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello,
I believe I have SOD and maybe CP, as all my symptoms match. I also have GERD and Barretts. I am having difficulty finding a doctor that understands the SOD and CP. They all want to treat me for GERD only. Can you recommend a doctor ion MA?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
SOD needs management, CP needs long term care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Sphincter of oddi dysfunction is common in people with gastric discomforts like gastritis, GERD and XXXXXXX esophagus in your case. Also pancreas and gallbladder issues lead to such discomfort. The pain is due to the spasm of the sphincter and management is aimed at relieving the spasm with antispasmodics, antacids and avoiding triggers and meanwhile modifying diet and lifestyle like an IBS or GERD patient. If medications fail to respond then next line of action is sphincterotomy where a physician dilates this sphincter by ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography). Rememebr GERD management is also part of it as one worsens other.

Regarding CP ( Cerebral palsy) i am afraid that is a child hood damage the severity of which may vary but management is more or less the same with all the efforts to reduce the adverse effects of it. Physical therapy, speech therapy, vocational therapy, occupational therapy, Spasticity relief with anxiolytics, BZDs and even botox are needed sometimes. Orthopaedics and nerve involvement may be managed if involved.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 24 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. What kind of gall bladder and pancreas issues? Also, I do not have cerebral palsy. I thought CP was short for chronic pancreatitis. My apologies.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic pancreatitis is the likely cause of SOD

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back

Chronic pancreatitis is the commonest cause amongst hepatobiliary causes of sphincter of oddi spasm. Gall bladder stones, infections of gall bladder, pancreas , bile duct or common bile duct are all reasons that lead to SOD. Treatment of underlying cause is mandatory to prevent recurrence. Rest SOD management is the same. Conservative trial upon failure of which sphincteric dilation using ERCP.

I hope it helps.
Khan