• question-icon

What are the signs and symptoms of sleep apnea?

Posted on Tue, 30 May 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I had a sleep study done last year. I am going to have another done and I was wondering are sleep studies done geared toward an anticipated problem? The last time it was done, the doctor thought I had sleep apnea, I did not. My new doctor said that she would look for hypoventilation because I have muscular dystrophy. So is it the same type of study? I'm just wondering if the first study would have missed hypoventilation if it's not something he thought was a problem and that I may have been doing this for longer than I thought. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ABG

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HCM

I can understand your concern

Sleep study (Polysomnography) is mainly for detection of sleep apnea however we can get from it some information about hypoventilation status of the lungs too.

In my opinion Arterial blood gases test and Difussion lung capacity test (ABG and Dlco) may be more helpful for evaluation of lung ventilation status.
The most important function of the lungs is gas exchange which means that hypoventilation itself leads to hypoxemia.

Spirometry test can help too (if you can do it)

Nevertheless i don't think that the first test may have missed something don't worry

Please discuss with your doctor for the above.

Take care and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist