What are the signs and symptoms of sinusitis?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have pain on my right hand side of my neck and head , is it related to sinus as I do have sinus due to weather conditions
it seems like having pressure on my neck and then there is pain and pressure on my eyes as well .Iam 42 yrs old female.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic.

The symptoms you are experiencing can be due to strain or pressure effects due to sinus infections and pus accumulation. You just need to rule out stress headaches or migraines first. If these are not being aggravated by restlessness or stress triggers, and not proceeded with auras, photophobia or nausea, you can safely exclude cluster headaaches and migraine and start work up for sinusitis with relevant doctor like an ENT specialist.

Getting Xray Paranasal sinuses can be conclusive alongwith White blood count and markers of acute infection on blood screening tests. If it fails to reveal anything and history of upper respiratory tract infection and exanination by ENT specialist still favors the sinusitis, the CT scan can be run for further details.

Meanwhile you can use anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine along with analgesics like acetaminophen for symptomatic relief and pains behind eyes and right sided headaches. If fever or signs on infection are present, I usually prescribe my patients with such complaints to start with antibiotics like augmentin or azithromycin for five days.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. If you dont have any more questions, please close the discussion. Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina