• question-icon

What are the signs and symptoms of deep vein thrombosis in an elderly person?

Posted on Wed, 15 Feb 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I am a 69 year old maile in good overall health.
I am on Xarelto for a DVT in my left lower calf.
I and my blood are being tested for why I would develop a DVT without a cause such as a
long plane ride or surgery on a leg or hip joint.
My first question is could inflammation cause a blood clot? Several years ago my blood was analyzed for C reactive protein and the result came back that my overall inflammation was very low.

My second question is could a mild acidosis, low PH, (or it might be high PH with low grade acidosis), cause a blood clot. I am going to see an MD Hematologist to figure out why I have an unexplained blood clot. But another medical professional, a chiropractor suggested that inflammation or mild acidosis could cause a blood clot. Is the chiropractor reasonable in his suggestions? Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up and management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your cocnern. Deep venous thrombosis has many risk factors. Infections, inflammations, raised white cell counts, trauma, heat failure, inflammatory bowels, clotting factor imbalance like factor V laden, Protein C & S deficiency, increased homocysteine levels etc are some of the risk factors for DVT. You need to stay on xarelto for unprovoked DVT episodes and if its second episode or recurred then you will need anticoagulation lifelong. Seek a hematologist, let them run some work up to find the possible cause for it and then manage it accordingly.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan